Let's light up the community this holiday season!
Judging for the 2021 Annual Arthur G. Hooper Decorating Contest will take place
Sunday, December 12, 4-9 pm.
Homes and businesses in New Russia, Elizabethtown, and Lewis will be judged in categories of Most Original, Most Beautiful, and the Spirit of Christmas. Winners will have their names engraved on a permanent plaque and receive a gift from the Social Center.
Please contact the Center with your address if you wish to be included in our route or nominate a neighbor: 873-6408 or email@example.com.
How to be a Contender
Many people ask how our winners are chosen. Our panel of judges varies each year and has different ideas for what winning decorations should look like. However, some tendencies seem consistent among judges from year-to-year. If you are looking for advice, here are our tips:
1. Contact us with your address. You do not need to sign up to win, but we cannot guarantee you will be on our route unless we know where you live. Please feel free to nominate a neighbor!
2. Judges seem to prefer the look of "warm" lights versus the cool, bright look of some LED's. No one is staunchly anti-LED, but a majority of winning decorations have been incandescent or warm LED. Most judges do agree the two types should rarely be mixed.
3. Judges seem to enjoy both all-white and multi-colored displays. One single color is rarely chosen as a winner, but mixing white in with a single color can be beautiful.
4. Judges prefer a display which has an overall design with a sense of tidiness and/or uniformity. Displays with lots of varieties of lights and decorations randomly scattered about are not often selected.
5. Sometimes less is more. A yard chuck-full of organized decorations is all sorts of fun, and often a contender. But occasionally a small display that is unique and well-presented takes a prize.
These are just a few observations from past contests. The most important thing to remember is to create a design that you enjoy coming home to each night! We highly recommend ignoring our tips in favor of your personal preferences.
Spirit of Christmas – Gay and Rick Olcott, 3 Cross Street
Most Beautiful – Chad and Wendy Carr, 17 Hand Avenue
Most Original – Pedro and Amina Fabian, 76 Water Street
Spirit of Christmas – Mary and Phillip Reynolds, 8567 US Route 9
Most Beautiful – Tom and Vanessa Cross, 487 Stowersville Road
Most Original – Morgyn and Tanner Cassavaugh, 9177 US Route 9
Honorable Mentions in Elizabethtown go to: Mountain Lake Services (21 Dougan Ln.); Ed Bessette (7402 US Route 9); Marilyn Jordan (6463 US Route 9); Sasha and Paul Pulsifer (8410 Route 9N); Dawn and Paul Fenton (118 Water Street); Josh and Donna Bennett (8246 River Street); Phil and Sharon Hutchins (45 Roscoe Road); Shawn and Kia LaPier (7268 US Route 9); Jay and Candy Cohen (67 Park Street); and Justin Mader, Jeanne Redmond and Paul Redmond (83 Hand Avenue).
Honorable Mentions in Lewis go to: Kristy and Brett Cave (21 Pine Country Way); Wanda Duso (8534 US Route 9); Cindy and Floyd Bassett (256 Wells Hill Road); Jessica Pulsifer (505 Fox Run Road); Jessica and Rob Thompson (579 Fox Run Road); Lori Crandall (81 Hulburt Road); Melissa and Roger Smith (825 Stowersville Road); Ken and Chris Whittemore (8625 US Route 9) and Shelley Olson.
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who lit up the community this year!
Take the Tour
Load up the car, turn on the all-holiday station, bring some candy canes and prizes, and play Decoration BINGO!
Print our list of winners and nominees and BINGO cards, or contact us to pick some up at the Social Center. Happy Holidays!